skip to Main Content

Electrical dangers around the home in Sheffield.

Electrical dangers around the home; don’t create possible electrical dangers by overloading sockets. Moreover, never ignore warning signs like;

  • Burning smells.
  • Sounds of arcing (buzzing or crackling).
  • Fuses blowing.
  • Circuit-breakers tripping.

Furthermore, electrical accidents are most likely to happen when equipment is damaged or misused. Consequently, failure to correct the problem could have devastating effects.

When did you last check the condition and safety of your plugs, sockets and flexes?

Secondly, damaged plugs, sockets and flexible cables can cause electric shocks, burns and fires.

Therefore, follow these simple rules to avoid problems;

  • Remove plugs from sockets carefully.
  • Not removing the plug by the cable.
  • Check the plug and socket for burn marks.
  • Listen for sounds of ‘arcing’ (buzzing or crackling).
  • Pay attention to fuses blowing and circuit-breakers tripping or if it feels hot.
  • Use plugs with the British Standard safety mark.
  • Look to see that the shutter mechanism in a socket closes when removing the plug.
  • Always replace damaged cables immediately.

Obvious dangers – yet we all make mistakes…

For example;

Changing a belt on a vacuum cleaner while it is still plugged in

  • Always unplug an appliance before you try to do any maintenance. You risk injury if you tackle maintenance before appliances are unplugged and have cooled down.

Drying clothes on an electric heater

  • This is particularly dangerous and could cause an electric shock or fire. For example, many heaters have ventilation slots to prevent overheating. Therefore, if these slots are covered up the appliance could overheat and catch fire, or a risk of electric shock.

I’ll change the 60-watt bulb to a 100-watt bulb

  • Next, using a bulb with a higher wattage than allowed can cause overheating. Similarly, in very rare circumstances the lamp may overheat and start a fire. Moreover, use a low-energy compact fluorescent lamp. This can last around eight times longer than a normal tungsten lamp and can provide as much light while saving on electricity.

Trailing the cable under the carpet or rug

  • Flexible cables trailed under carpets is a possible fire risk. Also, repeated stretching and treading on the cable may damage the cable insulation.

Drilling walls

  • Never drill holes or fix nails in walls or partitions without knowing what is hidden behind them.
  • Walls and partitions hide electrical cables and gas and water pipes.
  • Drilling through a live cable is extremely dangerous.

For example, in modern electrical installations cables normally run in a straight line horizontally or vertically to a switch or socket.

How much do you rely on adapters and extensions around your home?

Moreover, an average room in a house has four sockets. Although the increase in consoles in an average room has increased to eight. Therefore, extension leads and adapters often provide a quick and easy solution. However, these leads and adapters are often misused. Consequently, this can present a very real danger and in extreme cases they can overheat and catch fire.


  • Use adapters plugged into other adapters.
  • Check that the adapter keeps to British Standards.
  • Overload adapters.

Therefore, the most sensible action would be to install extra sockets or twin sockets. Thank you for reading Electrical dangers around the home in Sheffield.

Back To Top